A visit to the Correale Museum arouses great interest and attention in those who are passionate of art: the collection of paintings range from the XV to the XIX centuries, the nucleus constituted by the collection of still life from the Neapolitan school of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth centuries and the museum documents the ancient historical roots of the city of Sorrento, the collection of pieces of furniture and caskets made from rare and exotic wood, give testimony to the typical local craftsmanship. But the Correale shines even more because it holds the precious jewels that once adorned the various abodes of noble families: cabinets veneered of ebony or turtle, valuable products of Neapolitan ebony from the seventeenth century, eighteenth century chests enriched with settings of gilded bronze and shelves of marble; precious pieces of chinoiserie furniture of English manufacture from the first quarter of the eighteenth century, and French, German and Swiss watches mounted in gilded bronze and inlaid with mother of pearl and hard stones; Murano glass, Bohemian crystal, fabrics, majolica and porcelain.
The building that houses the Museobottega stands on via S. Nicola, the historical part of the town, and is part of an ancient urban nucleus. Its eighteenth century structure is typical of a provincial townhouse.
The Museobottega is a polyfunctional structure designed to requalify those sectors of the decorative arts which have not only a past worthy of being recorded with the work of local master craftsmen produced during the nineteenth century but also with new techniques of design which characterize the local production in inlaid wood.The museum's collection includes a series of paintings by Italian and foreign artists of the 19th century, such as Carelli, Pitloo, la Volpe, Colemann, Scedrin, supplemented by vintage prints and photos.
The Cathedral of Sorrento rises in the historic center of the coastal city starting from the 10th-12th century. dc, when, from the place that now houses the Sorrentine Cemetery, it was transferred within the city walls to the church dedicated to Santi Felice and Bacolo, and was first dedicated to San Severo, bishop of Naples, and later to San Renato, bishop of Sorrento, The central ceiling is entirely painted on canvas, the work of Francesco Francareccio, while the central paintings are by Oronzo and Nicola Malinconico (1711), and represent the first Sorrento martyrs of the II century, and the co-patrons of the Diocese. Worthy of note are the marble episcopal chair, a colorful combination of parts from Roman temples with other purely sixteenth-century ones, and the pulpit in front of the same period, rich in a bas-relief depicting the Baptism of Jesus, with a valuable panel by Silvestro Buono (1573). The paintings of the Assumption and of San Filippo and Giacomo in the ceiling of the presbytery are works by Giacomo del Po executed in the 1700s. Sorrento artisans (1936), while the large altarpiece on the bottom is an unknown work from the 1600s and depicts Saints Philip and James. work by Pietro Barone and Augusto Moriani (1902)
Torquato Tasso was born on 11 March 1544 in the villa owned by the Mastrogiudice (noble Sorrentine family), located on the "Prospetto", that is, on the stretch of coast that goes from the Syrene hotel to the Church of San Francesco. Of that house, built right on the edge of the coast overlooking the sea, all that remains is a room with two arches and a balcony. Towards the middle of the century. XVII, in fact, the part of it that protruded fell into the sea with the tufaceous ridge on which it rested, "almost ill tolerating to welcome vulgar tenants, after having lost the very clear poet". On the prospectus the Tramontano hotel was built in the following period, which absorbed the little that was left of that house, as well as it incorporated very large brick works, reticulated walls, Corinthian capitals and other ruins of the Roman villa that pre-existed there and that perhaps it was only a continuation of the great villa of Agrippa Postumus.
The only part of the Greek defensive wall still remaining is under the road at the new Parsano Gate. Another ruin of the Greek wall is the Gate of Marina Grande. The Roman town was built over the Greek one following the same urban plan with walls of large isonomic blocks. These walls stood to defend Sorrento through the Middle Ages. Rebuilding began in 1551 and was only completed in 1561 after the Turkish invasion.
The gate called Porta di Parsano is the only one which is still visible in its original context. Created during the 18th century, this gate was the beginning of a series of urban transformations culminating in the opening of Corso Italia, the creation of Piazza Tasso and, during the last century, Via degli Aranci. After restorations the Gate is visitable.
The basilica dedicated to the patron saint of Sorrento, near the Villa Comunale - stands a historic triptych set in a tuff wall known in the Peninsula as the "convent complex of San Francesco d'Assisi". The elements characterizing the triptych are: the Church, the Monastery and the Cloister. The Church, which dates back to the 14th century, is a triumph of Baroque style with rich stucco decorations. It is a church cradle of precious "treasures of our memory" such as a majestic wooden door of 1500, two frescoes of the '700 depicting Sant'Antonio di Padova and San Giacomo, brought back to light during a restoration in 1926, and a splendid statue wood of San Francesco with the crucified Christ. Outside the church was placed - in 1992 - a bronze statue of St. Francis, made by the sculptor Alfiero Nena.Located near the church, there is a monastery founded in the 7th century, sold to the Franciscan friars in the 14th century, beautiful Cloister.The Cloister is a perfect fusion of different architectural styles: on the two sides of the portico we find crossed tuff arches, stylistic expression of the late fourteenth century; on the other two sides instead, imposing round arches rise on octagonal pillars.
The Sedil Dominova can be admired in its entirety, thanks also to its recent restoration. It is located along Via S. Cesareo a pleasant street for shopping, the Sedil Dominova stands out for its dimensions that testify its glorious past.The Sedile di Porta was rebuilt in the sixteenth century, it was the seat of a part of the Sorrento nobility, bears in plain sight on the front the plaque: "Società Operaia di Mutuo Soccorso". The inscription reminds Sorrentines and visitors to the city that since 1877 the building, after being frequented by the city's nobility, has hosted an association founded to guarantee workers the first forms of mutualism.
The Bath of queen's Giovanna is one of the places richest in magical stories and full of charm. From Capo di Sorrento there is a narrow street with walls covered in ivy. Along a path in the shade of vines and orange trees, one can reach in a slope towards the sea, Regina Giovanna baths. To the visitor gives a spectacle of rare beauty: a large natural basin connected to the sea by a narrow gap between the rocks. The space on the hill is occupied by the remains of a magnificent Roman villa, built at the time of Emperor Domitian (81-96 AD) and belonged to Pollio Felice. According to the legend it was here that frequently queen's Giovanna came away from indiscreet eyes to share moments of intimacy with her lovers. Giovanna II D’Angio Durazzo, one of the most scandalous sovereigns to ever sit on the throne of Naples.
These ruins are one of the most fascinating of the Sorrento Peninsula, they were discovered in 1624 by Giovanni Vinaccia. Partially open, you can see the underground connecting the annex with the villa above. No other villa of this period has been described in detail such as this one, in the verses by Statius . Like other villas on the sea in the Roman era, has a harbor and an “ eel fishery“ for the breeding of fish and a nymphaeum. From the villa there is a passage on the rocks where you can swim in crystal clear waters.
Full refund for cancellations received up to 36 hours in advance.More info
An adventure full of knowledge.
All the Private Excursions listed below are available full day, with regard to your wish and time.